Rigor is creating an environment in which each student is expected to learn at high levels,
each student is supported so he or she can learn at high levels,
and each student demonstrates learning at high levels (Blackburn, 2008).

Monday, May 21, 2012

The Common Core State Standards: Positive or Negative?

I was on a Twitter chat recently where the Common Core State Standards were discussed. The focus question was, "Do the CCSS limit your creativity?"  As you might imagine, the discussion was quite spirited, with people on both sides of the issue. 

I am a pragmatist, so first, know that I believe they are here to stay, so we need to deal with them, rather than complain about them.  Second, I believe that it's never the standards, it's what you do with them.  So my bottom line is, you can choose. 

Are the CCSS negative for you, or, as my husband said, do they mean Curriculum Can Still Sizzle? I'm going to go with his idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest. Due to an increase in spam, all comments are now moderated by the site administrator.