Rigor is creating an environment in which each student is expected to learn at high levels,
each student is supported so he or she can learn at high levels,
and each student demonstrates learning at high levels (Blackburn, 2008).

Monday, February 20, 2012

Scaffolding Part One

A good comparison for scaffolding is learning to ride a bike. I remember riding a tricycle when I was growing up. I was good at it and felt confident of my abilities. At some point I got a real bike for Christmas. My parents wisely put training wheels on it while I learned to ride. Those extra wheels provided stability and balance as I learned how to ride it. Then Dad took the training wheels off. He taught me to ride without the training wheels, but he was beside me with one hand on the seat. One day he let go of the seat, and I realized I was riding by myself. I was so excited. I had learned to ride a bike and I loved it. I had confidence in my abilities, which enhanced my enjoyment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest. Due to an increase in spam, all comments are now moderated by the site administrator.