Rigor is creating an environment in which each student is expected to learn at high levels,
each student is supported so he or she can learn at high levels,
and each student demonstrates learning at high levels (Blackburn, 2008).

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Grading Parents?

Have you read this story?  Lawmakers in Florida are considering a bill that would ask teachers to grade parents.  It's an interesting thought, and one that brought a smile to my face.  I can still remember the parents I would have graded as "uninvolved" or "too involved--back off".  Realistically, though, I believe that this would undermine our partnerships with parents.  It's true that we all deal with parents that don't do what we would like them to.  But I believe that most of them truly want their children to be successful...they just may not know how to do that.  My husband and I approach homework differently with our son.  He wants to rush, finish, then ask us if it's right so he can go outside and skateboard.  My husband would tell him yes or no, but I always ask, "What do you think?  Why do you think it's right/wrong?"  He doesn't like that, because it makes him think and justify his answer...which is exactly why I do it!  My husband realized what I was doing, and has followed suit.  He said he didn't even realize he should be doing it.  That has helped me understand the importance of helping parents help their children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest. Due to an increase in spam, all comments are now moderated by the site administrator.